2006年1月3日星期二

FamilyAlbumUSA_008:第三课:Grandpa's Trunk ACT II

Excuse me. Is this seat taken?
No, it's not taken.
Oh, thank you.
Oh, let me help you with this.
Oh, thank you.
Do you want to sit by the window?
No, no, no. I like the aisle seat better.
Please, you sit by the window.
My name is Stewart... Malcolm Stewart.
Pleased to meet you.
I'm Elsa Tobin. How do you do?
Do you live in New York?
No, no. I'm from Florida.
I am, too. But didn't you just get on?
No, no. I just changed my seat.
A man next to me was smoking, and smoke really bothers me.
Where are you from in Florida?
Titusville. It's near Orlando.
Small world. I'm from Titusville, too.
Really? What part?
My husband and I live near Spaceport.
I know that area.
My house is only a few miles from Spaceport.
Do you still live there?
Oh yes, yes. My husband's there now.。
He couldn't take time off to come to New York with me.
Do you still live there?
No. I sold the house and the furniture, put a few personal things in an old trunk,and shipped it to my children in New York.
That's my destination.
Are you married?
My wife died four years ago.
She was a wonderful woman. A real friend.
I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry.
Lots of wonderful memories.
We were married almost fifty years.
Well, forty-seven, to be exact.
John and I celebrate our fortieth anniversary next month.
Oh, congratulations! That's nice.
What does John do?
He's an aerospace engineer and works for Orlando Aircraft Corporation.
He started with them almost forty years ago.
What do you do?
I just retired. Had my own company.
A construction company. Roads, bridges, big stuff.
But I just sold it and retired.
Excuse me, ma'am. Ticket, please.
Would you kindly hold these keys, please?
I have a ticket, I know.
I was in the smoking section.
It's OK, lady. Take your time.
I'm sure it's in your purse, Mrs. Tobin.
Oh, here it is.
And here are your keys.
Thank you.
Do you have family in New York?
No, no. But I do have very close friends in New York City.
We like to go to the theater together.
You said you have family in New York.
Yes, indeed.
A son and his wife and their three children-- my grandchildren.
You must be excited.
I can't wait, to see them!
Are you going to live with them?
Yes.
Permanently?
Well... they want me to, but it's too early to know for sure.
I'm pretty independent.
I tried to teach my kids the importance of independence, but I'm not sure I want to be alone.
Some people don't mind being alone. I do.
I understand. But tell me.
Why did you stop working?
I retired because... I wanted to be with my family.
I didn't want to be alone anymore!

没有评论: