2006年1月9日星期一

FamilyAlbumUSA_025:第九课:It's Up to You ACT I

Who is it?
Dad.
Come on in, Dad.
I thought you might be hungry.
I brought you a chicken sandwich and a glass of milk.
I am hungry.
Thanks, Dad.
What time is it, anyway?
Ten o'clock.
What are you working on?
I'm writing a story for the high-school paper.
Can't you finish it tomorrow?
No, I have to turn it in in the morning.
What's it about?
I'm writing an article on the feelings about graduation.
And ... how do you feel?
Me?
A little scared.
And excited, too.
I felt the same way.
The scary part's leaving home and moving to college.
Oh, leaving home is part of growing up.
Well, don't work all night.
I don't mind.
I enjoy writing.
Well, maybe you should think about becoming a writer.
Maybe I should.
You have lots of time to decide.
That's the worst part--making decisions.
You'll be OK.
Good night, Son.
Good night, Dad.
"Hail to the victors valiant, Hail to the conquering heroes, Hail, Hail to Michigan, The champions of the West!"
Ah, good morning, Robbie.
Good morning, Dad.
How's my grandson?
Fine, Grandpa. Fine!
What's all the cheering about?
Did the University of Michigan win another football game?
Better than that.
Tell him, Philip.
I just spoke with Charley Rafer.
Who's Charley Rafer?
He's the Dean of Admissions for the University of Michigan.
And it turns out he's a classmate of Philip's.
We were both on the tennis team.
Great!
It is great.
He's going to be in New York tomorrow to interview applicants for admission.
And he's agreed to fit you into his schedule.
But I may not want to go to Michigan.
It's one of the best schools in the country, Robbie.
I studied medicine there.
Your grandfather went to the Engineering School there.
I know that, but ...
You said you wanted to be a doctor like your father.
Not exactly.
You couldn't pick a finer medical school than Michigan.
Yes, I know that.
Let's meet with Charley at the university club.
Ten o'clock tomorrow morning.
It doesn't mean you're going to Michigan.
It doesn't mean you have to be a doctor.
But the interview will be good experience for you.
In that case, it's OK.
Dad, growing up means making my own decisions, doesn't it?
You're right, Robbie.
But, like your Grandpa suggested, have the interview.
And then make your own decision.
That sounds fine.
I know it's sudden, Robbie, but this is an important opportunity.
We'll head down there first thing tomorrow morning.
OK?
Sure, Dad.
I want you to know something, Son.
I'm ... very proud of you.
Thanks, Dad.
Well, I've got an appointment at the hospital.
I'll see you all at dinnertime.
Bye, Dad.
Is something still wrong, Robbie?
I'll be OK.
Going away to college for the first time always makes one a little nervous.
I guess so.
I'll be OK. I just need time to think.

没有评论: