2006年1月20日星期五

FamilyAlbumUSA_060:第二十课:Quality Time ACT III

Good morning.
What a wonderful morning!
Don't the flowers smell wonderful?
Good morning, Ellen.
Yes, they do.
That's why I'm reading my paper and having my coffee on the patio this morning.
Ah, it does smell sweet.
How was your school-board meeting last night?
You must've come home very late.
Did you find the sandwich I made for you?
Thanks, dear.
I was so tired I didn't even finish it.
Philip, I've been working on this special project with the school board, and I'd like your opinion about it.
What is it?
I've been trying to find a way to encourage reading.
Good luck!
Well, I think I may have found a way to do it.
Tell me about it.
I work with families every day, Ellen.
I see how people spend their leisure time--young and elder.
Mostly watching television.
Well, that would be OK if, and I repeat, if people took the time to read.
I couldn't agree with you more.
The question is, how do we get them to read more?
I think you're going to give me the answer to that question.
You have that look in your eye.
I do have an answer, Philip.
Or at least I think I do.
Well, tell me about it.
The plan is a simple one.
Involve the entire family in a reading project.
In the home?
Yes, in the home.
But first in the school-rooms.
Hmm, interesting.
But how do you plan to do that?
By arranging with the public schools to schedule one hour a week--to start with.
During that time parents are invited to attend--and to read along with the children--their children.
It can go beyond the school system, Ellen.
Really?
I guarantee you it would go very well in the hospitals.
My patients--mostly kids--would love to read and be read to.
You think so?
I know so.
Maybe we can experiment with your patients and see how the plan works.
I love the idea.
Would you work with me on it?
I would love to, Philip.
And that way, we'll spend more time together, Ellen.
We just don't see each other anymore.
You and I are very busy these days.
This is true.
We need to find time to be together more, to do things together more--you and I.
This would be a wonderful way to accomplish that.
I have a question.
Yes?
What do we read?
To the patients in the ward?
Yes.
Well, let you and I talk about it.
What would you like to read to them?
Mrs. Stewart and I will read a poem by Robert Frost.
It's called "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening."
Would you begin, Ellen?
All right.
"Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost. 雪夜林边小驻
Whose woods these are I think I know. 这是谁的林子 我想我知道
His house is in the village though; 虽然他的屋子是在村子
He will not see me stopping here 他不会看到我驻足此地
To watch his woods fill up with snow. 注视他落满雪花的林子。
My little horse must think it queer 我的小马一定感到奇怪
To stop without a farmhouse near 为何停在没有农舍的地方
Between the woods and frozen lake 就在林子和冰湖之间
The darkest evening of the year. 在这一年中最漆黑的夜晚
He gives his harness bells a shake 摇动绳上的铃铛
To ask if there is some mistake. 想问问是否搞错了
The only other sound's the sweep of easy wind and downy flake.徐风掠过和细雪纷飞
The woods are lovely, dark and deep, 林子迷人 漆黑而深邃
But I have promises to keep, 但是我有约要赴
And miles to go before I sleep, 在我就寝前还得赶许多里路
And miles to go before I sleep. 在我就寝前还得赶许多里路
You two belong on stage! That was wonderful!
Grandpa!
Dad ... Robbie. When did you come?
We've been listening to you both.
These are lucky kids.
Do you enjoy reading together?
Well, we may read together aloud at home.
You were right, Robbie.
I know.

没有评论: