2006年1月9日星期一

FamilyAlbumUSA_026:第九课:It's Up to You ACT II

Sorry, Robbie. Sorry to be late this morning, but, well, we've still got some time for a cup of coffee.
I can't wait to see my old pal Charley Rafer.
Neither can I.
So you thought about it, huh?
Yes, I have, Dad.
Well, I'm glad.
I knew you'd realize that this interview could be an important experience for you.
I came to that conclusion.
That's very wise, Robbie.
Very wise.
Now let's head off for the city and the university club.
Thanks, Dad.
Thanks ... for what?
Thanks for hearing me out. And ...
And ...?
And thanks for being such an understanding father.
Well, thank you, Robbie. Thank you.
Philip Stewart!
It's great to see you!
Charley Rafer--you look as young as ever.
You must be Robbie.
Hi.
Yes, this is my youngest son Robbie.
Robbie, I want you to meet one of the best tennis players on the Michigan team-- Charley Rafer.
Nice to meet you, Dean Rafer.
Well, are you as good a tennis player as your dad?
No, I'm not very good at it.
Frankly, neither was I.
Charley was the star of the team.
Yeah. Thanks.
Well, how've you been, Philip?
Oh, working too hard.
Doesn't show.
How's Ellen?
Fine, thank you.
And how's Marge?
She's still giving the toughest English history exams in the school and loving every minute of it.
And speaking of minutes, I have interviews until noon, so why don't we get right to work?
Can you have lunch with us later?
I'd love to, Philip, but I'm afraid I can't.
I'm only here two days, and I have interviews with twenty-six applicants.
I understand.
Well, thanks.
I'll wait outside.
Good luck, Son.
Did you bring your transcript from high school?
Yes, sir.
Right here.
Thank you.
Please sit down.
I see under "activities" that you've been writing for the school paper.
Yes, sir.
What kinds of articles have you written?
All kinds--sports, editorials, theater reviews.
You name it, I've written it.
Hmmm.
Well, have you ever thought of becoming a journalist?
A professional writer?
Not until recently.
Michigan has a fine School of Journalism.
Yes, I know that.
You seem to have some reservations.
I'm a little uncertain.
It's been very nice talking to you.
Nice talking to you, sir.
One piece of advice.
The most important thing is for you to decide your own future.
Yes, sir.
Good-bye, Dean Rafer.
Good-bye, Robbie. Good luck.

没有评论: